Thursday, November 17, 2011

Play Dates

Oftentimes in my busy SAHM life, I forget what it's like to talk to an adult. I find that when I am singing nursery rhymes, I try to amend them so as to utilize my SAT words.
Twinkle, twinkle petite asterisk, I am perplexed by how you exist...
Thankfully, I am not at the mercy of Raffi radio on Pandora everyday. I have other friends that are also SAHM/Ds or have time off during an otherwise normal workweek and we have play dates. I've heard talk of play dates being for the socialization of our children, the betterment of their character, to teach them manners and interaction but I know that is merely a front to get more people to engage in them. Yes, the play date, when done well, is actually all about getting Mommy out of the damn house and away from another chorus of Old MacDonald, and into the arms of another feverish parent whose cup runneth over (with wine, and gawdhelpme, they are willing to share).
How fortuitous, advantageous, beneficial, these play dates have been to me!
To enter someone's abode, sans worries, with only a diaper bag to my name and to be guaranteed conversation, communication, discussion! The only time we are filled with urgency, haste, hustle, is when we are trying to show up on time.
I am indebted to you dear friends, that allow me to bring my progeny to your charming, cozy, safe sanctuary so that I may find some of my own.
And for allowing me four whole minutes in which I can hide in the bathroom and play my turns on Words With Friends with no interruptions.

1 comment:

  1. I remember when your Mom and I would get together and you, Jarek, Lisa and Laura would play, those were fun times :-)

    ReplyDelete