Friday, November 4, 2011

Consumerism

An ode to my biggest guilty pleasure, shopping at Target:

There is a gleam in my eye, a twinkle, a spark. I've run out of something, the cupboard is stark. I could run down the street, to the convenience store. But what's Target? If not convenient, and more? Everyone buckle up, we have to go now! I'm only getting the one thing, this I vow. I don't know what happens, as I'm driving there. But somehow I'll remember another cupboard is bare. Just add the item to my mental list, but you know what happens, you get the gist. I can picture the store, the layout, the aisles. I am already shopping, driving these last two miles. I like to start with accessories, the jewelry, the purses. I can hear my husband, under his breath, he curses. I'm headed to shoes and clothes, an eye peeled for sales. Then I see it, the clearance rack, and my husband visibly pales. I'm running full speed ahead, there are bargains to be found! Hurry up guys, you're losing ground! It's a heady rush, finding an amazing deal. I'm not ashamed to admit to that high-pitched squeal. Finally, I've seen every T-shirt, every blue jean and sweater. Whoa, grab another cart? Yeah, we better. I haven't even checked baby and kids, beauty and hair, toys and organizers, or even housewares...

1 comment:

  1. Haha I used to have a shopping addiction when I was your age, Mervyns was my first drug of choice, I couldn't buy one dress, I had to buy six at a time... Gemco (where Cupertino Target is now) was my second drug of choice, it had a grocery store so I could always justify the monkey on my back because I had to cook dinner! Now I hate to shop, I would rather get hit with a bull whip than go shopping, we just finished Christmas shopping and I fell to the floor and thanked God it was over!

    ReplyDelete