Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A Sea Shanty

A sea shanty is usually sung in a call and response format. Made up on the spot oftentimes, a shanty may be entirely nonsensical or it may tell a story. On this third day of napowrimo, I've decided to go with a story.

Daughters, can you hear me?
-Aye, mom, we can!
Who has made this mess out here?
-Aye, the invisible man!
Shall I be the maid now?
-Aye, grab your broom and pan!
What has become of my life, dears?
-Aye, it has been overran!
Children, where is your father?
-Aye, frying up food in the pan!
Have I scheduled life down to the minute?
-Aye, but we ruined the plan!
When will I get a vacation?
-Aye, when it's too cold to tan!
Would I trade all of this for anything?
Nay, you're the core of our clan!

7 comments:

  1. Love this! So funny and creative. I've certainly been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so fun. Makes me want to toast you with a Guinness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SO love this...good job!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the recommendation from the Day Five post for NaPoWriMo and I am so glad I clicked! This was funny and true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hardly anyone will be able to relate to this! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great Shanty! I can totally relate to this. I also came to you from NaPoWriMo

    ReplyDelete